Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sprouted Wheat

This is sprouted wheat. I don't know if you can see it or not, but there is a tiny little white sprout on the end of the wheat. This is what it should look like, after sprouting. Although you can let it sprout longer if you wish. I have found that if I let it go too long--they tend to get sour.
I soaked this wheat (1 1/2 cups of wheat in a quart jar) for about 2 days, give or take a little. I rinsed them 3 times each day, and then filled them again with water.


Once they sprouted I drained them, placed them in a towel to dry them as much as possible. And spread them out on a baking sheet. (I lined the baking sheet with wax paper)
I then baked them in a 250°F oven for about 2 hours. Check them every 30 minutes, or until they are dry.

I will allow them to fully cool on the tray overnight. Then I will grind them and hopefully, make some pie.
This wheat makes great cookies!

**Soaking grains before we eat them allows the body to get more nutrition from them. It breaks down the outer layer of the grain (phytic-acid) which inihibits the utilization of certain nutrients like, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper etc.
Most whole grains contain phytic-acid in their outer layer.
Buckwheat, millet and brown rice have low levels of phytic-acid, therefore little or no soaking is required.
Quinoa, wheat, and barley are some grains with high amounts of phytic-acid, so soaking is always preferred.

1 comment:

Melody said...

I did not know that that was how it was done! Love reading your blog and your insight.