Friday, December 7, 2007

New Calling

Before I get to the calling I need to update the book situation. I got the type-set version back from the publisher. I now have to go through each page and see if it is to my liking, and also add the page numbers for all of the cross-reference recipes. It is looking a little more like a book, but not as "bookish" as I would have liked. The cover is not finished yet either. I can't wait to see that!

Okay- the new calling is Compassionate Service Leader. I will still be teaching Relief Society, which I am glad about, I really love that calling. I have to confess......that I think I "dreamed" this calling to me. For about the last 6 months something has been bothering me. I have been so focused on myself and "my book" and me, me, me. I don't know if this has shown outwardly, but I have definately felt it inside. At times it has made me feel really selfish, and too self absorbed. That is what is so amazing! Heavenly Father ALWAYS knows our hearts, He knows what we need, and what will help us grow. Will this be a challenge for me? YES! I already feel overwhelmed with all I have to do, but...............I also feel great peace, that this is something I need to do. I was given a wonderful blessing as I was set-apart last night. Truly inspired. I am so greatful for the opportunity that I have to serve in another capacity and know that the Lord will bless me.

Before I was set-apart, Brother George, read to me, and gave me a copy of what my responsibilites will be. It was much more involved than I had thought. I thought this calling was just about the meals. (Funerals, new babies, the sick etc.) But there can be much more to it, which is challenging to me in a good way.
This is what I am to do:
Identify skills and circumstances of sisters who could offer compassionate service. all sisters should be given the opportunity to serve through compassionate service assignments.
Identify sisters who have special needs. Coordinate the efforts of the RS to help these sisters.
For example----coordinate assistance for sisters who are elderly, alone, homebound, or in nursing homes. Coordinate assistance for sisters who have illnesses or disabilites. May arrange for members to correspond with sisters from the ward who are away from home, such as those who are serving missions. Coordinate the efforts of sisters to friendship and support women who are not memebers of the Church. This includes attending the baptismal services of new convert sisters. Arrange for endowed sister to acompany sisters who will be alone when receiving the temple endowment. Keep records of nonconfidential compassionate service assignments for the president. This record should include the names of people served, dates, types of service given, and the time spent. Attend ward Relief Society leadership meetings.

Much more involved than I thought, but also very good. I think this will get me out of the "me, me, me" attitude.

No comments: