Monday, April 7, 2008

Donuts!

Yesterday I made the best donuts I have ever made!! Everyone loved them!! I didn't use 100% whole wheat, because I wanted to try the recipe first and see if it would turn out, so I used about 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat flour. They did turn out, so next time I will use 100% whole wheat, I don't even think you will be able to tell. I also used the "evil and dreaded" powdered sugar to make the glaze. (Sometimes I have to make my family happy for a minute)
So if anyone has a great glaze idea, pass it on, I would love to try something different. The glaze I made was good, but WAY too sweet for me. I will come up with something different next time.

**Just a little tip. When deep frying, the best oil I have found, that gives ANYTHING the absolute BEST flavor is...........................believe it or not, coconut oil. You can find this in health food stores. When I use other oils, they tend to give a rancid taste, especially if eaten the next day. With coconut oil, you NEVER get that because it is a stable fat.
French fries are great, sweet potato fries are great, scones are great, donuts, you name it, it tastes especially GOOD!!

Coconut oil, in my opinion is the ONLY oil you should deep fry with. Most other oils either can't handle the heat, or are already rancid when you buy them.

2 comments:

$inger!!! said...

the dounuts were so good thx 4 making them and the glaze wuznt 2 sweet 4 me!!!!!!<3

Stef said...

Yummy! Now I am craving donuts! Terry won't let me deep fry anything, but if I tell him that you suggested it, he might let me! I may have to get the dough recipe from you.