Sunday, May 11, 2008

My First Funeral

I recently was given the opportunity to be the Compassionate Service Leader in our ward. So far it has been pretty easy. A few dinners here and there. Well.........this past week, I had to plan my first funeral. A woman in our ward passed away. I was told to plan for about 75 people. Funeral potatoes,ham, green salads, rolls, desserts, and jello salads were on the menu. I started calling sisters in our ward, and a most wonderful thing happened. Every single person that I talked to was very eager to help, and were able to bring food items to help. I am so greatful for these wonderful people and their willingness to help serve. What a wonderful plan our church has, to offer their services and church and a luncheon at no cost to the family in their time of need and mourning. What a relief it must be for them. These past two weeks in our ward we have had 4 surgeries, and 2 deaths. To have so many people right there to help these families is comforting. We only ended up having about 30 or so for the funeral luncheon, so we were even able to send that family home with a bunch of food, and we took food to the other families in our ward who recently had surgery or were mourning the loss of a loved one. I am so greatful for this calling so that I am able to experience this kind of service, it inspires me to serve more.

No comments: