Monday, January 5, 2009

Homemade Artisan Bread





I was given this recipe (thanks Wardeh) to make homemade artisan bread. It turned out pretty good. It is crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. I am going to tweak it a little and see if I can do some different variations. The thing that is cool about this bread is that you can make the dough and leave it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You just take out the dough as you need it. Try it --to get the recipe go to this site;

http://gnowfglins.com/2008/12/23/experiment-artisan-bread-in-5-minutes-a-day/

**There are 2 notes I would like to add

1-The bread was too salty, I will cut back on the salt next time.

2-I liked the bread much better after it had been in the fridge for 1 week. Maybe it is good after 1 or 2 days also, I made one batch of dough, cooked 2 loaves on the first day and the other 2 loaves 1 week later.

3 comments:

FLCATXOK said...

Your bread looks really good. I agree it was way too much salt and it seemed like it got saltier as the time passed. How much salt do you plan to use next time?

Anonymous said...

Your loaves are so beautiful! How can I get mine to look like that? Mine go flat. Did you use just the called for amount of flour? Was it sprouted or regular?

I agree with you about the salt. With some flours, the salt flavor is more pronounced.

Love, Wardeh

Tiffany said...

I am going to try half of the salt and see what happens.
And I used 6 cups fresh-ground whole wheat flour. I always use have red wheat and half spring wheat. I didn't add the salt until after the flour because salt kills or weakens yeast. I don't know if that made any difference or not?